Tuesday, November 22, 2011

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year

This past weekend in St. Augustine was the annual Night of Lights. Everyone gathered downtown to watch as the entire city illuminated. Guests at the Mayor's Gala mingled at the Lightner Museum for cocktails and a catered dinner from Casa Monica.

I was lucky enough to have been able to experience the festivities at the Mayor's Gala without having to experience the financial deficit. I volunteered with the City of St. Augustine through my DOW client, St. Francis House. It was fun to see all of the city officials dressed up, drinking and dancing.

It rained most of the night, but people were so wrapped up in the tradition that they braved the storm. I was almost happy that it rained because the lights were reflecting off of the wet pavement. I imagine that a distant view of the city would have looked as if it were sparkling.

My mom and my grandmother came down for the festivities. It was nice to share this experience with them, during my last year here in St. Augustine. I hope after graduation we can make it our own tradition to come down to visit the city and Flagler, as well as enjoy another Night of Lights.

No comments:

Post a Comment