Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Building houses, rebuilding lives.

I have been a member of the DOW Advantage PR Group at Flagler College for two years. I started off as an assistant account executive for the First America Foundation. I got to assist in some of the planning for the 450th Commemoration Celebration for the city of St. Augustine.

This year I became the account executive for St. Francis House. I have been able to help with various fundraisers that support the homeless shelter. Overall I have got some great experience and some awesome opportunities as a member of DOW.

But this year, I got to help out on another account, Habitat for Humanity. Their account executive needed some of us to help build a house with the other volunteers. At first I signed up because they needed help, not necessarily because I wanted to do it.

So that Saturday morning came and I went to the area of land that Habitat for Humanity bought to build their houses. I got put to work right away and was responsible for completing the siding of the house. I got to use a nail gun for the first....terrifying.

There was two of us on one side and after a few hours, we realized we had almost finished. We had nailed the panels up the side as far up as we could reach. At the end of the day, we stood back and admired our work and I felt an overwhelming sense of accomplishment.

Not only had I been able to help build a house, but that house was going to be given to someone who really needed it. It was one of the greatest experiences of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment